Friday, February 20, 2009

Oh, come on! Really?


What’s with the jug of powdered pancake mix at the grocery store? The commercial of a mom who fills the jug with water, shakes and pours out the perfect pancake onto the griddle. Is it that difficult to buy a box of Bisquick? Or, wait!! How about taking some flour, eggs, milk, a little sugar and salt, some butter and making them yourself? Have the kids help. It could actually be *gasp* fun, and maybe even a little educational.
I admit I have indulged myself in the 3-second dinner when my husband is out to sea and the children are crawling on the floor begging for food. The Banquet Homestyle Bakes Creamy Chicken and Biscuits rocks! My point here is how companies have taken convenience to a completely new level. Some things simplified to the point where the container in which the product is, well, contained, is ten times more expensive than the product itself. The unit to cost ratio is out of control!!

Drive-thru liquor stores. What in the world are these people thinking? Isn’t that like an oxymoron or something?
*Deep Narrative Voice*
“Handy Dandy Andy’s Drive Thru Stop and Go. Stop and go without even getting out of your car. We have everything in a convenience store you are looking for. While your here, you can even get your Bud Light! Beer not your thing? Maybe some Disaronno Amaretto and have yourself a nice cold sour when you get home.”
*disclaimer: in a fast quiet voice*
“We do not condone drinking and driving. Please drink responsibly.”

12 items or less. Do I really need to say anything about this? 12 means 12. This does not mean 13 or 20. In addition, no, your 10 for $10 does not count as 1 item. It is ten items, meaning you are only allowed 2 more and that’s your limit!

Carpool lane, left lane and right lane. Ya, I am not even going to go there.
However, when 2 lanes converge down to 1, are you the person who stays in the correct lane? Are you the person who whizzes past everyone? Truthfully, it does not really matter except for the rudeness factor. Everyone zippers eventually.

5 comments:

HistoryMama said...

10 for $10... lol

I will admit, while at home I make homemade pancakes- but I love the bottle for camping! So easy... So clean!

ErikaRobin said...

That cracked me up! Nicely written, Jo.

Fistandantalus said...

Once I timed the difference between the Pancake Jug and mixing the real deal. There's about a three-minute difference. Not so worth it.

OneZenMom said...

Great post! :) But, yeah, I'm guilty of buying the Pancake mix in a bottle. We love to use it for camping!

Ladyornot.com said...

I got the pancake jug. I had to end up pouring the pancakes out of it into a bowl and mixing so there would be no lumps. It was not worth the money.