Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Friends do not always agree...




I am a lucky woman.


Most people choose to surround themselves with people that share similar values and ideas concerning life. I, however, seem to have a majority of friends and loved ones whose ideas vary vastly from my own. While, at times, this can drive me crazy- it also keeps me in check.

In order to maintain my relationships, I have to think about what I say. I have to wonder if it will upset a person or if it is unfair to say in their presence. I must also be true to myself and my own feelings. Therefore, I must know what I am talking about and I must be tactful in explaining my view points. This has, over time, created some great conversations.

I do not feel myself stifled by these encounters, but rather more open and aware. Both in regards to understanding my friend's views as well as more confident in my own. Their influence has given me much to think about- whether or not they sway thoughts and feelings. Their friendship has made me a better person and a better mother. I hope that I can impress upon my children the importance and power of understanding. Friends are a wonderful asset.

Thank you all- your attributes, lifestyles and knowledge make me a better person.

3 comments:

ErikaRobin said...

I share your appreciation. You said what I think...and you said it beautifully.

Cleanaturalady said...

I too share close personal relationships with people who have vastly different ideas and ideals than I do. I hope it has made me more aware, more compassionate and more thoughtful. That is the hope anyway. ;)

BigMommaJesca said...

Rock on, Carmin. I know how hard it must be for you sometimes, and I'm really glad you've chosen to take something positive from the situation.

You rule.