Monday, December 29, 2008

Parenthood is War

Yes, war.

Of course, I say this with all the love and respect that the role entails- but in the end, it is truly a battle: Us against them (and there are times that I am not sure there is even an US!) They always are working together, plotting… always plotting…

Now, I happen to have some rather good children. Despite the genetic materials that we were working with- they seem to be alright. People complement me all the time about their behavior and manners. This makes me feel better- one little battle won by me.

I’d say my daughter was the leader- but up until this point in time, that was because she was the eldest child. Now that my middle son is getting to an age where he can formulate his own plans and purposely enact his own chaos… the line is rather blurry. And the baby! He’s a rogue child, working with either side in order to create as much trouble as possible.

All of this is my husband’s fault of course. His stubborn and intelligent DNA made up the entirety of his chromosomal contribution. This is why I often find myself laughing at his dumbfoundedness at our children’s actions. Why is he confused- that is him in a nutshell! Of all the people that should expect it to happen, for goodness sake- he’d do the same thing! Except for the look… all of them have it. That came from me. My daughter does it best, but don’t all girls? It really conveys their desire for you to spontaneously combust, right there before their eyes.

What they don’t realize is my love. I really do love them and that is why I shall win the war of parenthood. They will grow up and move out. They will go forth into the world as well mannered, thoughtful adults that care about the world around them. They will succeed at whatever it is they desire- because… I SAID SO! Oh, and because I love them enough to be strong, cruel, gentle and supportive- no matter the situation. I have plans of my own, you know…

4 comments:

ErikaRobin said...

Cryptic, but I agree! Sometimes the US is really just a ME and hubby is in kahoots with the offspring, Kitten. :)

Cleanaturalady said...

My sister's mother-in-law says that raising kids is like being pecked to death by chickens. I tend to agree with he most of the time. You are right, it's the love that keeps us moving forward.

Guinhyvar said...

That was well said, Carmin! And way to speak in code. That was pure evil genius right there.

Ladyornot.com said...

I still can only read the last paragraph.