Sunday, January 4, 2009

Appropriate Viewing


I'm in the midst of de-cluttering my home of all the Holiday mess. Quite a lot of it has ended up on the kitchen table. So, when dinner was ready this evening, I looked at the table and decided that we were having a picnic on the living room floor.

I went in to spread out a blanket, and realized that my boys were watching "Making Fiends", a cartoon that's just about as stupid as they come. I grabbed the remote and put on one of my channels which was having a show about kittens in the womb. I'd seen the previews for the show and thought that it'd be kind of neat to see kitties in-utero. It's science-related, informational, and just creepy enough to keep my boys from writhing on the living room floor out of boredom.

I went back into the kitchen to get the plates of dinner loaded up, when my oldest child walks in, a bit pale, and says, "Mom, I just watched a baby kitty come out of it's Mom's... belly. Can we pleeease watch something else? That's really gross."

So, while I thought that I was protecting my kids from inane cartoons, I was inadvertently giving them a crash course in "where babies come from". Great. Juuust great.

At this point, my husband intervened. I assumed that he would put on football, with it being Sunday and all. Nope. He opted for the channel that shows the UFC fights.

And that is what led up to our television-less picnic dinner.

No comments: